CARING FOR STATE HERITAGE
37 LOWER FORT STREET 2019–20
What makes a grant application to NSW Heritage successful? We don’t know, but happy that our house has been awarded a modest grant this year to help fund its exterior restoration.
We hope to employ good people, plan well, and complete all exterior work by June 2020. You can follow progress and setbacks, starting with…
Before work on the front facade could begin, the iron fence was carefully taken down ahead of its restoration. On close inspection, we discovered most of the iron fence was not original, and what was meant to be its stone base wall was mostly cement and brick.
David Gwynne has taken the iron sections to his Forgeries workshop to see what can be saved and what needs to be reconstructed.
Meanwhile, interior timber restoration continues, with Nick the Joiner scarfing new Australian cedar into the damaged door frames on the first floor, making them ready for the new cedar doors he has made to replace the old fire doors.
Joseph, Rodney and Luka have demolished the front and back verandahs. Their use of props and levers simplified the work and made the process safe, but now the house looks stripped bare.
In the back yard, an old air-con plant room and its suspended concrete roof are awaiting demolition before we can prepare the foundations for the new verandah.
Meanwhile work continues inside. Neighbours had heard about Margaret French polishing the first-floor doors, skirtings and architraves, and some had asked Margaret to show them the process, which led to her Filling, Faking and French Polishing workshop.
Planning the new back verandah, engineer Hari had specified a concrete raft slab to avoid excavating and thereby ensure no relics are uncovered.
This requires some explanation. The previous owners had commissioned at great expense an archaeological baseline study of the entire site, and the study found it was almost certain that there was nothing to find in the back yard, unless we dug down in a corner where there had been a structure first recorded in an 1865 survey and subsequently demolished when a new laundry wing was constructed early last century. The study surmised the earlier structure had been a separate kitchen wing beneath which might be found organic traces which could be used to tell stories of early colonial eating habits. Is this the most likely conclusion? Would the kitchen would have been moved to such a small outbuilding? Could it have been an earlier laundry or storeroom? Questions for the future. For us the archaeological report indicate a no-go area unless we have an archaeologist on site during excavation, and this we hope to avoid by disturbing the site as little as possible, and using Hari’s plan for a raft slab.
Site preparation for the raft slab began when Jeremy arrived with a small and remarkably agile excavator. He demolished part of the broken rear wall to get it on site. Soon after, a council officer appeared following a neighbour’s report about the removal of the wall, the third report about us in twelve months (twice to Council and once to Heritage). Council officer was invited inside, plans were checked and work was allowed to recommence. Most neighbours in our street have been reported to Council and to Heritage for ‘illegal works’ or ‘illegal occupation’ of their homes. In every case these complaints must be investigated, but thankfully this time the complaint was dismissed quickly and work resumed.
Another council officer soon returned for a scheduled inspection of the concrete form work and reinforcing. Engineer Hari had made a small change to the design of the raft slab to accommodate some pipes discovered at the last moment, which led to requests for revised drawings and certification. All issues were sorted just before the concrete arrived in Downshire Lane, where there was barely enough space for concrete truck and pump, and the street blocked while the concrete was delivered. Neighbours whose properties back onto the lane were very understanding, and we were thankful that we had chosen Matt Glazenberg for our concreting as it had been more complicated than anticipated, but Matt and Jimmy sorted all problems and by afternoon the concrete was curing and the street had returned to normal.
A few days later Saxon and his team erected the scaffold on the new concrete slab, where it will stay for the next twelve weeks while we attend to the roof which is sagging and rusty; the walls that have missing brickwork and render; and the paint which is poor condition and needs to be removed before repainting.
On the rear walls we tested two similar paint removal systems, Peel Away and Heritage Strip. Both worked OK and removed the majority of paint, but scraping removed more, so this became the first stage of paint removal.
When most of the original brick wall was revealed, so too were the red-brick arches above each window and doorway, leading us to believe the wall was originally unpainted brickwork.
In an 1889 watercolour by George Collingridge it appears number 37 was painted by this time, but perhaps number 35 was still unpainted – it looks to be about the same colour of the bricks of these houses. In any case, an interesting image showing the warehouses and stables that lined Parbury Lane as it led down to the wharves of Edwards & Hunter (See below for more about the history of number 37).
Even if number 37 and others in the row were unpainted originally, painting is the approved finish for the back wall, but a breathable paint might be a better solution, especially if we retain stone windowsills and some part of the red-brick arches. Our neighbour and heritage architect Anne is encouraging us to head in this direction, and a visit to Murobond confirmed their mineral silicate paint would be a great solution if we can remove a little more paint.
Recommended for mineral silicate painting and assisting with further paint removal is Shahidi Painting, and they are beginning with a few more tests of Peel Away 1 and 8 to see which will remove the remaining paint.
October 15 a week away is when Matt and his team from MLR Slating are due to begin work on the roof, installing a new slate roof at the front and iron at the back. Meanwhile Joseph has investigated the structure beneath the existing iron sheets and it appears sound but sagging. Hari our engineer believes there is no reason the timbers should not support the new slate and iron roofing if they are not damaged, so we plan to add sister rafters ahead of Matt’s roofing next week, and before that we must plan for sarking, insulation, guttering, downpipes and lead flashings.
7 am Wednesday Joseph and his team begin removing roof sheets and installing the first of the LVLs. It is good to see how Paddy, Luka and xxx work efficiently together and everything runs smoothly. By the end of the day two LVLs are attached to provide the levels for the rear roof and the iron sheets are replaced. We are ready to strip the rear roof and attach the LVLs as soon as new iron sheets are ready.
Wednesday is also when Nicole from Heritage NSW visits to see what progress we are making, and how we are spending the Heritage Grant we received. Great to meet her and good she arrives wearing safety boots. We are able to demonstrate that the grant has helped push us along at a rapid rate, and it is making possible much of the exterior work.
Nicole is able to shed some light on why our application was successful. She said Heritage had allocated a portion of grants to private heritage house owners and most of the successful applications in this category were from owners who demonstrated how they met the assessment criteria, had a clear budget and scope, a strong understanding and commitment to the site, and would produce valuable heritage outcomes.
Next door is Major House, partially built at the same time and probably designed by the same architect as number 37. It appears renovations are about to begin. A building team arrives on site and we are able to discuss some of the ways we might work together on issues that occur with houses that join one another.
On the same day, somehow we miss Ali who comes to check on progress of Peel Away, but he turns up the next day and we see Peel Away 1 has removed a little more of the remaining paint at the back, but after six days, neither 1 nor 8 is able to remove all layers of paint at the front. Both have removed a few layers of acrylic paint and number 1 has removed more than half the thickness of what we think is oil-based paint. In the same area over the next few days I am testing further coats of 1 and 8. If one of these is successful, Ali thinks the entire paint removal will take two to three weeks, and I think this is for just one man working, but in any case the cost is beyond our budget as we expected work to take four days at most. Perhaps we will work alongside Ali as well as looking for other ways to reduce the cost of this stage. When this preparation is complete, we are hoping to continue working with Shahidi Painting as Bill and his team come highly recommended for mineral silicate paint application.
Thursday is also the day Matt from MLR Slating comes to look at the condition of the roof structure and how we might deal with flashings, guttering, skylights and so on, and finally he meets with Joseph and they are able to plan how to work together. It looks like sheeting the rear roof might not begin next week. and so Joseph and his team will wait a few more days before they level the roof structure.
HISTORY – 37 LOWER FORT STREET
Number 37 was built as a merchant house and residence for Thomas Dyer Edwards and Matthew Dysart Hunter. Thomas had been an orphan at the age of twelve in the southern English port town of Shoreham when he sailed off for a life of adventure as a seaman, but later wrote ‘I took to the sea but the sea did not take to me.’ Instead he worked briefly on a Jamaican sugar plantation, which was not to his liking, then headed to China.
In 1833, slavery was abolished in the British Empire, the East India Company lost its trading monopoly over China, and Edwards and Hunter traveled to Sydney from Canton to set up their trading company which soon controlled most of the China trade. They built Dawesleigh as their residence and headquarters and continued to enjoy a close relationship with the famous China trading company Jardine, Matheson and Co. A decade later, Edwards had returned with his family to England and Hunter was rebuilding the family home in Scotland, but Edwards retained part ownership of number 37 up to 1855 when it was sold to the Campbell family. In 1858 it was rented to the Reverend Alexander Salmon who famously built a prefabricated iron church in Macquarie Street; in 1861 it was rented to the merchant Edward Frank; and in 1890 the tenants are wool sorter Philip Lee and newsagent W. B. Lee.
An outbreak of the Plague in 1903 provided an opportunity for the government to resume the houses of Lower Fort Street and indeed the whole of Dawes Point, Millers Point and The Rocks. There were plans for new wharves and bond stores to the west of Lower Fort Street and a harbour crossing to the east. Some houses were demolished, flats were built for workers on some of the now-vacant land, and the houses that remained were rented out. Initially number 37 was rented to John Haroldson, and by 1910 to Alfred S. Carpenter.
From soon after the end of World War I number 37 became a ‘residential’ run by a succession of landladies who included Ethel Wilson (1925), Rose Shackel (1936), Florence Ann Dee (1956) and France Barwyck from 1957 to 1975, when it was extensively remodelled for the Royal Australasian College of Radiologists. The Radiologists left in the early 1990s and squatters moved in. The house was almost derelict when the government chose to sell rather than repair it. The current owners purchased it in 2009 and have restoring it since.
RESTORING 37 LOWER FORT STREET 2010–16
During 2010–16 restoration has been underway at 37 Lower Fort Street. At the time it was expected work would conclude in 2017. Similar work has been undertaken throughout Dawes Point and Millers Point, as new owners repair the heritage houses that had been neglected for decades. Below is some of the work completed at number 37.
The entrance hall includes two original cedar fanlights. Both had suffered extensive damage, especially to the delicate glazing bars which are only 12mm wide. These are as fine as any made in the 19th century, and restoration was a slow and careful process.
The serpentine staircase on the ground floor had partially collapsed and needed major repairs to its supporting structure. Many of the treads and other details had been replaced with pine and even plywood. The original materials were reinstated and the staircase was put back together following traditional techniques.
In the basement, bulkheads covered air conditioning ducts, cement render covered half the walls, and a cement topping covered what was hoped were the original flagstones. Removing these recent renovations to the house filled the backyard several times over.
There were flagstones under the cement floor of the basement, but most needed redressing before being reinstated in their original positions. The cement render on the walls was removed, the bulkheads and the ducting were taken out, and the stone walls were repaired before being repointed with soft lime mortar. Now these preliminary works are complete, the rooms are ready to be fitted out.