A brief history of 44 Argyle Place, Millers Point
— Michel B Reymond
- Wentworth Terrace, 44 Argyle Place, Millers Point
- Grimes Cottage, 50 Argyle Place and Grimes Buildings,
52-60 Argyle Place, Millers Point
- Osborne House, 34 Argyle Place, Millers Point
- Architectural drawings Pages 11-13
- Summary of building dates (existing and demolished), 16-20, 22, 24-34,
36-44, 46-48, 50, 52, 54 and 56, 58-60, 62-64, Argyle Place, Millers Point Appendix A
- List of Maps and Plans “A” to “L” Appendix B
A BRIEF HISTORY OF 44 ARGYLE PLACE, MILLERS POINT, NSW
Part of a group of 5 three-storey terraces originally named Wentworth Terrace built for Ann Merriman in 1886, they stand on part of allotment 18 of section 94 in the City of Sydney, originally granted to “Thomas Plaice of Windmill Street Sydney, Baker”, by a Crown grant dated 11 August 1841. The spelling ‘Place” has been adopted for convenience in this article although in all land documents this name is spelled “Plaice”.
Located in the block bounded by Argyle Place, Kent, Windmill and Lower Fort Streets, allotment 18’s frontage is to Argyle Place, and is illustrated on a block plan known as section 94 of the City of Sydney (Plan “C” above). These block plans are thought to date between 1830 and 1835 and were prepared for the Commissioners appointed to hear all land claims in the City of Sydney following Governor Sir Ralph Darling’s proclamation of 8 June 1829. In general terms, each person who occupied and claimed land within the then City of Sydney had to prove their property title before the Commissioners, who then made recommendations as to whom title should be granted.
It was Thomas Place who made the claim and to whom the Commissioners subsequently recommended allotment 18 be granted. To understand when the buildings seen here today on allotment 18 were built, it is convenient to look at how this allotment’s land was later subdivided. This occurred initially in two stages; the first being the land upon which nos. 22-34 Argyle Place now stand and the second being the land upon which 36-48 Argyle Place now stand, with the latter being further subdivided later into nos. 36-44 and 46-48, these street numbers for these houses being those in use today.
In the Commissioners’ report of June 1841, they set out the history of this allotment.
Thomas Newman was originally in possession of the eastern part of this allotment as early as 1821, while one Townsend was in possession of the western part, which Newman purchased from him in about 1825-26. In May 1826, Newman and his wife Suzanna (formerly Place) sold the whole allotment for £200 to Suzanna’s son, Thomas Place, subject to them being allowed to occupy it for their joint lives and to the payment of a weekly annuity of 30 shillings to their son, Thomas Newman, for his life.
In the same report, George Tallentire declared he knew this property and remembered Thomas Newman “being in possession of the Eastern part of this property including the House now occupied by Mr Elyard as far as back as the year 1821 or 1822”. He also said the western part of this allotment was now (1841) occupied as a “Ginger Beer manufactory” and that he had been a tenant of Newman of premises on the eastern part in about 1822. The references to various buildings and tenants’ occupations here, I suggest, are likely to refer to those buildings shown on Harper’s Map of Sydney which was begun in 1823 (Plan “A”), and to none of the buildings seen here today.
The first indication of buildings on allotment 18 is shown on Harper’s Map (above). This map seems to indicate three buildings on the eastern part (coloured red on Plan “A”) and two buildings on the western part of the allotment (coloured green on Plan “A”). There is no building of the size of nos. 46-48 shown on its site. This can clearly be seen by comparing Harper’s Map with the City of Sydney detail sheet of 1855 for this block (Plan “F”) and a plan illustrated on a deed dated 30 August 1862 (Plan “G”). The details shown on Harper’s Map are repeated on the Map of the Town of Sydney 1831 (Plan “B”).
In December 1826, Thomas Newman advertised in the Sydney Gazette a “newly finished HOUSE” to be let, providing the following detailed description:
“TO BE LET. – a very commodious and newly finished HOUSE, situated in Darling Harbour, and fronting the Road leading from the Miller’s Point to Dawes’ Battery.
The House consists of three stories and attics, containing in the whole eleven rooms; in the sunk story there is an excellent kitchen, with a very convenient pantry, and large store-room; in the principal floor there is a dining room 20 feet by 15, a good sized parlour, and a bed room; the next floor contains a drawing room, the same size as the dining room, and two excellent bedrooms; and above these are two most convenient attics, with a closet in each; attached to the House there is a good sized yard and garden, containing grape vines and other fruits, and from the back window there is a most extensive, and delightful view of Darling Harbour, and the adjacent Country; as far as the eye can ‘reach’. Apply to Mr. THOMAS NEWMAN, the Proprietor, next Door.”
I suggest the house described above refers to the present free-standing two-storey dwelling at 46-48 Argyle Place, and to no other building on this allotment as seen on Harper’s Map. This can be seen by looking at the buildings shown on Harper’s Map where, I suggest, this building is not shown. If it had been, it would be to the immediate east of the long building shown in the most easterly position on Harper’s Map, and then comparing this building’s position with that shown on the City of Sydney detail sheet of 1855, the plan illustrated in the deed dated 30 August 1862, the advertisement in the Sydney Morning Herald of 15 April 1844 and subsequent plans and photographs, all of which indicate that this was the only two-storey dwelling facing Argyle Place on this allotment. This would date this building to 1825-26, making it probably the earliest two-storey domestic dwelling surviving in the Millers Point area. Thomas Newman was later identified as the builder of this dwelling.
Thomas Newman (1771-1836) arrived in Sydney as a convict in 1808, listing his trade as a stonemason. By 1819, he was living in this area, then part of Cockle Bay, before this area became known as Millers Point. In 1822, Suzanna Place (circa 1762-1843) is listed in the convict muster as Newman’s wife. In the Commissioners’ report, Thomas Place wrote that he arrived in Sydney “with Edward Riley in 1824”. The latter arrived as a passenger on the ship Sir George Osborne in December 1825.  Also listed as a passenger on the same ship was Thomas Newman.  It is unclear whether this was the father or the son, for in the muster for 1823/4/5, the son is listed as arriving in 1822, “son of Thomas Newman also living in Cockle Bay Sydney”. It is also possible that the passenger listing for Thomas Newman was a mistake for Thomas Place, or he was on board the same ship but was omitted from the published passenger list.
Thomas Place, nos. 22-34
Thomas Newman senior died in 1836 and his wife Suzanna in 1843. After her death, Thomas Place advertised the property for lease in January and then for sale in April 1844. In the following September in a series of transactions which extinguished the annuity payable to Thomas Newman junior, Thomas Place, “Baker” and his wife sold part of allotment 18 , being the site of 22-34 for £702 to William Cole “of Sydney Publican” (Plan “D”). Within three years Cole erected buildings which became known as ‘Coles Buildings’, known today as 24-34 Argyle Place. On the site of 22 was a single-storey stone cottage which was built before Cole purchased this site and which he retained. It survived until the 1970s when, together with the adjoining building 16-20, they were all demolished and replaced by what is seen there today.
William Cole, nos. 24-34
William Cole was a publican who over the years before his death in August 1856, was the licensee of a number of hotels in the area including the Beehive Inn on the corner of Argyle and Prince Street (demolished to make way for the Sydney Harbour Bridge). He also built a number of houses in Millers Point which were designed by the architect and surveyor John Stafford, including a house in Argyle Street in June 1846, and based on these a strong attribution is made to him as architect for nos. 24-34. The latter houses do not appear in the City of Sydney Rate Assessment Books, Gibbs Ward for 1845, but are there for 1847, suggesting they were commenced in 1846 and completed in early 1847, this being confirmed by a tender for painting them in March 1847. In 1855 Cole borrowed substantial funds from the Trustees of the Savings Bank of New South Wales. He died on 19 August 1856 at his residence 34 Lower Fort Street and following his death all his properties were advertised for sale on 25 February 1859 including nos. 22-34 which were described as follows:
“All that Block of Buildings, fronting Argyle-Street, late the property of … William Cole, deceased, comprising seven brick houses, on stone foundations, to the level of Argyle-Street.
House No. 9 (no. 34), on the basement, kitchen, servant’s room, and pantry; on the ground floor, a drawing and dining rooms; on the first floor, three bedrooms and two attics; two-stall stable with loft over, and coach-house, carriage entrance under the archway, paved yard, and water-closet.
Houses Nos. 10 and 11 (nos. 32 and 30) each containing a kitchen and cellar on the basement, two sitting rooms on the ground floor; two bedrooms on the first floor; closet in yard.
House No. 12 (no. 28) with passage at the side, contains kitchen and cellar in the basement, two sitting-rooms on the ground floor, large bedroom in front, extending over the archway, and back room; also, a closet in the yard.
Houses Nos. 13 and 14 (nos. 26 and 24) each contain kitchen and cellar in the basement, two sitting-rooms on the ground floor, and two bedrooms on the first floor; closet in yard.
House No. 15 (no. 22), contains kitchen and cellar in basement, two sitting-rooms on the ground floor, bedroom and attic on the first floor; closet in yard.
These houses have back entrances to the yards from the passage leading from Argyle-Street, and are situated on allotment no. 18 of section 94 of the plan of the City of Sydney.”
They did not sell. As a result of Cole defaulting on his loan, the bank subsequently sold his property in August 1862, to James Merriman of Sydney for £2,500.
Merriman (1816-1883), after practising his trade as a cooper, became the licensee of a number of hotels including the Whalers Arms in Millers Point. He then prospered in the shipping business being the founder of the pearl-shell industry in Torres Strait. In October 1867 he was elected to the Sydney City Council for Gibbs Ward and represented it until his death in 1883, being mayor in the years 1873, 1877 and 1878. He was also one of the commissioners at the Sydney International Exhibition of 1879. Quietly energetic, sensible and persevering, he was credited with giving stability to Sydney mercantile life. He was survived by his wife Anne, nee Thompson, whom he had married in 1843, and by two sons and three daughters, leaving an estate of over £51,000.
Merriman took up residence in no. 34 over whose front door the name “Osborne House” appears in gold lettering today, and continued to reside there until his death. The house probably takes its name from Osborne Gibbs, later Sir Samuel Osborne Gibbs who occupied it from about 1850 to 1855. Sir Samuel Osborne Gibbs (1803-1874), British Army Officer, Freemason, plantation owner and politician, was born in England and spent his early years on his father’s plantation on Barbados. Upon the death of his father, he inherited the baronetcy. With the abolition of slavery in 1833, he returned to England but left there for Sydney where he arrived in 1850, meeting up with his nephew Colonel John Gibbs, collector of customs and builder of Wotonga later enlarged as Admiralty House, Kirribilli. In 1855, he left Sydney for New Zealand where he remained for the rest of his life. There he became one of the highest Masons and was a member of the legislative council from 1855 to 1863.
After Merriman’s death in 1883, Osborne House passed to his son William James, whose mother continued to reside there until her death, and following that the house’s contents were sold at auction on 12 July 1887 with a full description appearing in the Sydney Morning Herald at that time. After this auction , William James Merriman retained the house but after it was mortgaged it appears he defaulted, for the lender the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney, sold the house in December 1899 to Ruby Constance Muriel Gardner, who presumably was its owner when the property was resumed in 1900.
After the Cole’s sale, Place retained the site of nos. 36-48, and later he and his wife borrowed substantial moneys from the Trustees of the Savings Bank of NSW. They too defaulted and in February 1862 the bank advertised Place’s property for sale as follows:
By order of the Mortgagees.
RICHARDSON and WRENCH have received instructions to sell by public auction, at the Rooms, Pitt-street, on FRIDAY, 28th February, at 11 o’clock,
The whole of that exclusive property known as formerly belonging to the late Mr. Plaice, situate in ARGYLE-STREET, consisting of a stone-built home, containing 5 rooms, 2 attics, a kitchen, and underground room – shed, &c.; in the rear; also 3 cottages; the whole occupying a block of land having a frontage of about 127 feet to Argyle-street, adjoining the property known as Cole’s-buildings.
The above valuable freehold property will be sold to the highest bidder, and as it occupies a capital position, and has a very extensive frontage to Argyle-street, the attention of capitalists is directed to the sale, as affording a first-rate opportunity for investing to advantage.”
At this auction the property was sold to James Vandervord of Sydney, master mariner, for £900. The site of nos. 36-44 can be seen on City of Sydney detail sheet of 1855 for this block (Plan “F”) and Doves’ Plan of Sydney circa 1879-80 (Plan “H”). Subsequently he transferred the site of nos. 36-44 for the benefit of his wife Suzanna, the daughter of Thomas Place whom he had married in 1857. She sold this site in August 1883 to Ann Merriman, the wife of James Merriman for £2,000. It was she who in 1886 built the present terraces nos. 36-44, referring to them in her will of June 1886 as “now being erected” having previously demolished the older buildings on this site (Plans “G” and “K”). Some of the remains of the earlier buildings demolished to make way for the present group of five terraces, may survive on the site. In 1900 when all the properties in this location were resumed, Henrietta Jane Simmons, wife of John Simmons of Sydney engineer, was the owner of nos. 46-48, having previously purchased it from Suzanna Vandervord in August 1899 for £775.
Grimes Cottage, 50 Argyle Place
This single-storey dwelling was built for George Grimes, a seafaring captain, between 1832-33.
It stands on allotment 19 of section 94 in the City of Sydney (31 perches) granted to George Grimes by a Crown Grant dated 10 November 1835. This grant was recommended to be made by the Commissioners appointed to hear all land claims in the City of Sydney following Governor Sir Ralph Darling’s proclamation of 8 June 1829, following their report upon Grimes’ memorials of 671, 672 and 936, which he made to them in December 1834. At the same time, Grimes also sought grants for allotments 20 and 21 of section 94, which were subsequently granted to him by separate Crown Grants both dated 10 November 1835.
In these memorials, Grimes described himself as “Commander of the Barque “Woodlark” of the Port of Sydney, now at sea”. He stated he had purchased allotment 19 from William Davis in 1830 and had also purchased the other allotments. I suggest that all of these purchases are likely to have taken place in 1830. These allotments are illustrated on a “Plan of Allotment of Land in the Town of Sydney in the possession of Capt. George Grimes” prepared by J Armstrong and dated 25 April 1834. This plan was probably used by Grimes for the purpose of his application to the Commissioners. The details on this plan vary slightly from those illustrated on the section 94 plan dealing with these three allotments. Armstrong’s plan shows the dwelling now known as 50 Argyle Street, together with its kitchen and a garden, suggesting the building was well established by the date of his plan. It also refers to Grimes’ adjoining land as “Paddock”.
Earlier, Grimes gave notice in February 1831 to the town surveyor of his intention to build here, but no details are recorded, suggesting he had not started building. This is in part confirmed from the section 94 plan which shows a surveyor’s faint dotted line (as distinct from solid lines) representing an intended building which is similarly shown within allotment 22 of the same section. A later plan by Ambrose Hallen dated 11 August 1831 shows no building on the site of no. 50 Argyle Place. This suggests Grimes built no. 50 sometime between August 1831 and the date of Armstrong’s plan of April 1834; I suggest the most likely date for its construction is 1832/33. A later more detailed plan shows no garden area as illustrated on the Armstrong plan but does show other details including the cottage’s name, “Grimes Cottage” and “Grimes Buildings”.
Grimes Cottage along with Thomas Newman’s house (46-48 Argyle Place) are both illustrated in a pencil sketch by Samuel Elyard (1817-1910) titled Millers Point, n.d. and partly in Conrad Martens’ pencil sketch of Fort Street Feb 8th 1843 and subsequently in FC Terry’s watercolour Argyle Place and the Garrison Church from Observatory Hill signed and dated 1850. The house also appears in various area photographs.
According to Samuel Elyard’s biography in Australian Dictionary of Biography and in the Dictionary of Australian Artists, etc, he arrived in Sydney with his mother and father in 1821 and as a child he was taught drawing under Edmond Edgar and later studied miniature and oil painting becoming sufficiently competent to receive commissions and hold his own drawing classes at the age of 19. He become acquainted with Conrad Martens painting his portrait. He painted a number of portraits in water colour, pencil and chalk from 1837 but, not being entirely successful, became a clerk in the Colonial Secretary’s Office that year. Subsequently, he took up landscape painting, making a great number of sketches in and around Sydney, which are contained in his collection of Views of Sydney and New and South Wales. The pencil sketch titled Millers Point showing Newman’s house and Grimes Cottage is within this collection and is thought to date from 1838-40 as it shows the cottage in a setting similar to the details shown on Armstrong’s Plan.
George Grimes was the son of Charles Grimes (1772-1858) who served as Surveyor-General of New South Wales and in other capacities. Charles Grimes had two sons, John who apparently died in about 1828 and George (1799-1854), who died on 23 September 1854 in his 55th year, at his residence no. 2 Argyle Street (probably the present no. 58), Sydney, intestate, leaving surviving him his wife Mary and a son George Underwood Grimes.
Grimes Buildings, 52-60 Argyle Place
George Grimes built this group of terraces originally known as Grimes Buildings, and after his death known at various times as “Trinity Place” and later as “Undercliff Terrace”.
Nos. 52, 54 and 56 appear on Shield’s Map of Sydney commenced in 1842 (Plan “E”) and also in Martens’ drawing of February 8, 1843; this drawing suggests these terraces had been in existence for some time; if this is correct, I suggest a date of c1841-42. This is further supported in Stubbs’ auction advertisement of 11 July 1842 which refers in passing to “… Captain Grime’s (sic) residence, and New Terrace …”, likely a reference to all three buildings appearing in Martens’ drawing.  Two of these terraces were leased for three years from 8 November 1842. Nos. 58 and 60 were built later. In the 1845 City of Sydney Rate Assessment Book only three terraces are shown, namely those now known as nos. 52, 54 and 56, which accords with what is shown in Martens’ drawing. By 1848, there are five, suggesting nos. 58 and 60 were built during this three-year period, probably between 1845-47.
At his death in 1883, James Merriman owned Grimes Cottage which was described then as “a Large Cottage & Residence” valued at “£1,800”, together with nos. 52-58 Argyle Place described as “Four Dwelling Houses nos. 24, 26, 28 and 30 Argyle Street known as Grimes Buildings” valued at “£4,800”.
62-64 Argyle Place
According to the City of Sydney Rate Supplementary Assessment Book for 1866, these buildings were built in that year for Robert White Moore and stand on part of allotment 21 of section 94.
In 1964, a group of architectural students at the University of New South Wales School of Architecture & Building completed a set of measured drawings and elevations of Osborne House (referred to in their report as Type A), one of the terraces 36-44 (referred to in their report as Type B) and Grimes Cottage (referred to in their report as Type C). The drawings comprise front and rear elevations as well as floor plans of each house. Copies of these drawings were placed in the Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales, where they may be found in Volume 4, described there as 3 houses in Argyle Place, Sydney, reference PXD 54.
There is a further drawing showing a ground floor plan with rooms dimensioned for each house now known as nos. 22-34 Argyle Place. On the drawing, these houses are numbered 9‑15, and Argyle Place is shown as Argyle Street. The drawing shows passages, parlours, back parlours, rooms, kitchen, yards, water closets, balcony, steps, coach house, stable, gateway, and arch with the name “Coles Buildings” and “Argyle Street”. Also written in pencil on the drawing is the name “Merriman”. It is not signed or dated. It bears an ink stamp which now cannot be read, but according to the Mitchell Library Catalogue entry bears the stamp of Ferdinand Hamilton Reuss (1821-96) architect and surveyor of 72 Pitt Street, Sydney. He was born in London and educated in Germany, Liverpool and London, serving his apprenticeship with a London firm of manufacturing engineers. In 1853 the Reuss family emigrated to Australia. After unsuccessfully prospecting for gold, Reuss settled in Sydney where he began with the firm of Reuss & Browne specialising in estate subdivisions.
The street numbers appearing on the drawing first appeared in street directories in 1855 and in the city council assessment rate books from 1856, and these street numbers continued in use for some time after 1862. The same street numbers appear in the auction sale notice for these houses in the Sydney Morning Herald of 25 February 1859. Until 1852 this section of Argyle Place was known as Argyle Street and from 1855 as Argyle Place. There are no street directories or rate assessment books for the years 1853 or 1854. Some time during 1853-54 the change in street numbers and the change in name for this street section occurred, a change implemented by the Sydney City Council. Although the changes were reflected in the street directories and rate assessment books from 1855, newspaper advertisements continued to refer to house numbers in Argyle Place as being in Argyle Street.
Reuss commenced business by himself in October 1853, but by November of 1854 he was part of the firm of Reuss & Browne and later left that firm and went into business by himself. Stafford, the architect and surveyor, who most likely designed these houses was also still practising and had completed a number of houses for Cole in this area during the early 1850s. As the drawing refers to “Argyle Street”, this suggests it was done before the change to Argyle Place was known. The changes in street numbers and street names are likely to have been implemented in early 1854. This suggests the drawing was done earlier and the street numbers were added to it later. If this is correct, then Stafford is the most likely author of this drawing whose date I suggest is circa 1850. Even if this is not so, given Cole’s long association with Stafford, I suggest he is the most likely author of this drawing. It is also likely the drawing was part of a set of drawings prepared for Cole probably to raise money on the security of the property, or for the property’s possible sale.
M B Reymond
Notes and references
 Crown Grant dated 11 August 1841 (area 2 roods 6½ perches) Town Grants Vol. 52 page 13, LPI.
 City Section Plans, 1833, City of Sydney Archives.
 See Plan “J” attached.
 Case no. 944 for Thomas Place, Reel 1221, State Records.
 Ibid note 4.
 Ibid note 4.
 See Plan “A” attached.
 See Plans “E”, “F” and “B” attached.
 Sydney Gazette 13 December 1826, page 1.
 In advertisement for property’s sale, Sydney Morning Herald 15 April 1844.
 General Muster 1823/4/5, entry no. 34569, State Library.
 See reference in Sydney Gazette 11 December 1819, p4.
 Ibid note 11 under her name.
 See his statement in Commissioner’s Report, ibid note 4.
 Sydney Gazette 19 December 1825, under Shipping Intelligence.
 Ibid note 14.
 Ibid note 11 under his name, entry no. 34571.
 Their deaths are referred to in deed dated 19 September 1844, Book 7 no. 476, LPI.
 Sydney Morning Herald 4 January and 15 April 1844.
 Ibid note 18 re deed.
 See Plan “G” attached. There are numerous references to “Coles Buildings” in land deeds (ie book 20 no. 602 dated 12 April 1851) and newspapers of the period.
 For no. 22’s location, see Plan “D” attached.
 Housing NSW Properties Millers Point Report vol. 2., October 2004, under 16-20 Argyle Place, Millers Point.
 See directories for the period and Sydney Morning Herald 25 February 1859 p6, Auction Notices.
 See Sydney Morning Herald under Stafford re Cole 1846-51 incl. 3 June 1846 house in Argyle Street.
 City of Sydney Rate Assessment Books, Gibbs Ward, 1845 and 1847, Appendix A; Sydney Morning Herald 29 March 1847 Tenders for painting 6 houses Argyle Street W Cole; Cole’s demolished houses designed by Stafford (later Stafford & Stevens architects) are said to be identical to nos. 24-34, Info. from Noni Boyd, AIA.
 Recited in deed dated 30 August 1862, book 81 no 107, LPI; the borrowings were secured over these houses.
 Sydney Morning Herald 19 August 1856 p8.
 Sydney Morning Herald 25 February 1859 p6.
 Deed dated 30 August 1862 book 81 no. 107, LPI.
 Australian Dictionary of Biography Vol 5 p242-3, and obit in Sydney Morning Herald 15 May 1883 p5.
 See Sands Sydney Directories for the period.
 For house’s occupation, see note 32 and Sydney City Council Rate Assessment Books for the period and note 26.
 See Wikipedia entry under his name.
 Will of James Merriman ibid note 68, Sydney Morning Herald 2 July 1887 under advertisements.
 Deed of Mortgage dated 14 January 1890 book 497 no. 783 and note on search paper in PA11341, LPI.
 Recited in deed dated 29 March 1862, book 79 no. 704, LPI.
 Sydney Morning Herald 26 February 1862 p7.
 Deed dated 29 March 1862 book 79, no. 704, LPI.
 Deed dated 26 June 1867 book 104, no. 121, LPI.
 Deed dated 4 August 1883 book 274, no. 991, LPI.
 Probate series 3, no. 15296, Supreme Court of New South Wales. In her will, she left nos. 36, 38 and 40 to her son William James Merriman, and nos. 42 and 44 to her son George Merriman, who was a solicitor. A grandson, James Henry Merriman (1868-1927), was articled to the City Architects Department in 1883, and became a draftsman and building surveyor from 1917.
 Deed dated 25 August 1899 book 648, no. 842, LPI. For Crown plans of this block following the 1900 resumption, see Plans 2468-3000 and 2481-3000, LPI.
 Grants Register no. 39 p162, LPI.
 See Grimes’ memorials 671,672 and 936, reel 1206, State Records.
 Grants Register no. 39 p 170 and 171, LPI.
 Ibid note 45.
 Ibid note 45.
 Ibid note 45 for statements.
 M2 811. 1716/1834/1/, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW.
 See post and rail fence in Samuel Elyard’s pencil sketch, ibid note 55.
 Town surveyor’s notebook for buildings, town allotments, at p152, 9/2700, State Records.
 Plan in case no. 637, reel 1215, State Records.
 Deed dated 11 January 1854, book 30 no. 52, LPI.
 In Elyard’s collection of his Views of Sydney and New South Wales, Vol 2 F79, ZDG* D15-2, Dixon Library, State Library of NSW).
 Available online State Library of NSW.
 Historic Sydney as seen by its Early Artists, Susanna de Vries-Evans, A&R, 1987, p35.
 The Dictionary of Australian Artists, Painters, Sketchers, Photographers and Engravers to 1870 ed. Joan Kerr, Oxford University Press 1992 p248-9.
 Ibid note 55.
 Ibid note 55.
 Ibid notes 50 and 55.
 Australian Dictionary of Biography Vol 1, p487-8 and Charles Grimes, B T Dowd, RAHSJ Vol 22 (1936).
 Ibid note 54 and Sydney Morning Herald death notices 23 September 1854.
 Deed dated 28 September 1857 book 51 no. 495, LPI, and Doves Plans of Sydney 1878-79.
 Sydney Morning Herald 11 July 1842.
 Deed dated 8 November 1842 book 2 no. 247, LPI.
 See City of Sydney Rate Assessment Books, Gibbs Ward, for 1845 and 1848.
 Inventory in stamp affidavit, estate James Merriman, box 20/6991, State Records.
 City of Sydney Supplementary Rate Assessment Book, Gibbs Ward, for 1866.
 Manuscript Cadastral Map of Coles Buildings Argyle Street, Sydney, Maps/0382, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW – see map “L”.
 Ibid note 70.
 The Encyclopedia of Australian Architecture, ed. Philip Goad & Julie Willis, University of Melbourne, 2011, p593.
 Waugh & Cox’s Directory of Sydney, 1855, Cox & Cos Sydney Post Office Directory, 1857 and Sands Sydney Directories, 1858-9, 1861 and 1863.
 Ibid note 29.
 City of Sydney Rate Assessment Books, Gibbs Ward, 1851, 1852 and 1856, and ibid note 73.
 Sydney Morning Herald, 8 October 1853 p1 and 11 November 1854 p1.
 See under Stafford Sydney Morning Herald, 1850 onwards.
LPI: Land and Property Information, Sydney